My last juice fast was in June last year when I first bought my Hurom juicer. It lasted for five days and I felt amazing! In October/November last year I did my 28 day Pulse fast which had the same results (read about that here). Although I didn’t feel yucky or run down last week, I still felt like I needed to detox give my body a break from digesting food.
I came across Sol Cleanse online after a quick internet search. They are a company based on the Gold Coast who deliver one, two, three or five day cleanses. The cleanses come in three levels -
1. Lighten Up – juices, smoothies, dahl, herbal tea, nut milk
2. Ready to Shine – juices, smoothies, nut milk, herbal tea.
3. Go Green Deep Clean - juices, herbal tea.
I opted for the three day, Level 3 – Go Green Deep Clean. I chose this option because I’d already experienced a juice fast before so I knew what I was in for. I also do not drink milk – even nut milk so the other options were not appealing to me!
You can have your cleanse delivered to your door or pickup from Palm Beach (Gold Coast, QLD). As I was on holidays, I picked up my juices from the lovely ladies of Sol Cleanse and was super excited to get home and have a look in the box.
As you can see, the juices were kept nice and cool from the ice packs and the special bubble wrap! In addition to the juices, there was 18 paper straws, herbal tea with a strainer, psyllium husks, menu of juices and detailed information and instructions.
Here’s a breakdown on the six juices I was drinking across the three days.
Please note I was on a Level 3 juice cleanse. If you are new to detoxing, then Level 1 or Level 2 are best.
I was surprised at how yummy all the juices were. Honestly! I thought there would at least be one bad one but I enjoyed drinking them all. Courage was my most favourite which was a shock to me as I am not a fan of ginger or tumeric. I’m actually going to start adding these into my future juices.
My next favourite was Radiance which was also surprising because I’d never thought of juicing broccoli or beans before and dislike eating these vegetables. I would rate Energise the lowest – only because I have lemon water every morning anyway so I’d rather have had another juice instead of this. In saying that, I realise not everyone does this, so including a lemon water is beneficial for those who are new to it.
The jars hold almost two cups of juice (that’s all you need) and they are filled to the brim!
Each morning, Sol Cleanse sends you an email with some motivation and inspiration for your day. It is a great mode of support and a reminder to treat your mind as kindly as you are currently treating your body.
Day One I was expecting to be difficult, but it was quite easy. I had a lot of things to distract myself with and the next time to have a juice came around quickly. A glass of water was drunk after each juice and I had a glass of water with psyllium husks stirred through for fibre.
Day Two was a little more difficult as I felt more hunger than the day before. The feeling would pass as soon as I had another juice or some water. Again I kept myself busy and was proud of how much work I got through! I think the fast helped to awaken my senses and my concentration skills were higher than normal.
Day Three was easy. Maybe it was because I knew it was the last day or that my body was more used to it. This day was also Easter Sunday. I went to the farmers market as usual and bought a lot of produce to juice with. That’s right! I wanted to continue the juice cleanse for another couple of days. I will probably allow myself one meal a day with 4 – 5 juices. It is important not to rush straight back into eating what you had before a juice fast. You need to allow your body to adjust to food digestion again and gently ease into it.
These are some pictures of the juice ingredients I used to make a variety of juices. I adapted the Sol juice combinations slightly to use what I had.
My advice if you are considering a juice fast/cleanse -
* Start small. Try one or two days to start with and see how your body responds.
* Try to choose days where you don’t have social engagements or strenuous activity planned.
* Be prepared to experience some feelings of detox – head aches, tiredness, hunger. Everyone will react differently. I had none of these symptoms this time, but I did last year when I did my juice fast.
* Research companies in your area that can supply the juice for you and read reviews.
* By your own produce and juice yourself. I recommend juicing all in one go a day or two ahead and storing them in jars in the fridge immediately. This is what I did yesterday. Don’t keep for longer than 3 days.
* There are no rules for what combinations to try. Just make sure you have at least one piece of fruit in each juice as veggies on their own do not taste that appealing! Try the above combos or research online to find more. I also post many pics on Instagram with the ingredients of my juices if you want to have a look.
This Sol Cleanse has left me feeling energised and sparkly! Just in time to head back to my Grade One class tomorrow
All these opinions are my own. I paid full price for the cleanse and I’m not receiving an endorsement to write about Sol Cleanse. If you would like to find out more about the company, click here
Please feel free to leave a comment if you have done a cleanse before or you’d like to ask me some more questions about it. I look forward to hearing from you!